Backend (Java) Engineer
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 4000 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists.
We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Flexible working - We are guided by our client work and needs; however, you have autonomy to manage your time and diary to suit your work/life balance.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Backend Developer with expertise spanning various aspects of software development, including Java OOPS concepts, Java 8 features, multi-threading, web applications, REST services, testing frameworks, and more. The ideal candidate will have a solid background in leadership and a proven track record of successful project implementation.
- Apply strong object-oriented programming principles in Java to design and implement robust and scalable solutions.
- Leverage Java 8 features, including streams, functional interfaces, and collections, to enhance code readability and maintainability.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of multi-threading concepts, implement strategies to avoid deadlocks, and optimize performance through parallel runs and resource sharing.
- Design and develop web applications using MVC frameworks, incorporating dependency injection for improved modularity and testability.
- Implement RESTful services using JAX-RS and adhere to best practices for designing and consuming REST APIs.
- Utilize JUnit, Wiremock, and Mockito for effective unit testing, mocking, and behaviour-driven development. Transition from other frameworks seamlessly, including TestNG.
- Develop and execute automated integration tests using Cucumber and Gherkin for efficient and collaborative testing.
- Use OpenAPI Swagger to specify and document exposed APIs, ensuring clarity and consistency.
- Implement code quality checks using SonarQube and ensure security through Redhat SSO.
- Utilise a range of libraries and frameworks, including Feign, Mustache, Spring, Guice, Swagger, and Spring Boot.
- Work with various data storage solutions, including ElasticSearch, RDS, Aurora, Postgres, ElasticCache, OpenSearch, and Debezium.
- Implement hosting and orchestration using Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS Autoscaling Groups (ASG).
- Oversee web container management using Tomcat and NGINX.
- Implement monitoring and logging solutions using the ELK stack.
- Set up and manage the CI/CD pipeline using BitBucket, Maven, Terraform, Jenkins, Ansible/Packer, and Kustomize.
- Work with Kafka, SQS for queuing solutions and implement scheduling using Jenkins/Ansible.
- Use a combination of Cucumber, JUnit, Selenium, and Postman for comprehensive testing.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in Java software development with leadership responsibilities.
- Extensive experience in the specified technologies and tools.
- Proven ability to design, implement, and deliver complex software solutions.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
We know the skill-gap and ‘somewhat need to tick every box’ can get in the way of meeting brilliant candidates, so please don’t hesitate to apply – we’d love to hear from you.
Apply today by completing our online application
Life At PA encompasses our peoples' experience at PA. It's about how we enrich peoples’ working lives by giving them access to unique people and growth opportunities and purpose led meaningful work.
We believe diversity fuels ingenuity. Diversity of thought brings exciting perspectives; diversity of experience brings a wealth of knowledge, and diversity of skills brings the tools we need. When we bring people together with diverse backgrounds, identities, and minds, embracing that difference through an inclusive culture where our people thrive; we unleash the power of diversity – bringing ingenuity to life.
Find out more about Life at PA here.
We are dedicated to supporting the physical, emotional, social and financial well-being of our people. Check out some of our extensive benefits:
- Health and lifestyle perks accompanying private healthcare for you and your family
- 25 days annual leave (plus a bonus half day on Christmas Eve) with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Generous company pension scheme
- Opportunity to get involved with community and charity-based initiatives
- Annual performance-based bonus
- PA share ownership
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
We recruit, retain, reward and develop our people based solely on their abilities and contributions and without reference to their age, background, disability, genetic information, parental or family status, religion or belief, race, ethnicity, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity (or expression), political belief veteran status, or other by any other range of human difference brought about by identity and experience. We are on a journey towards ensuring our workforce is diverse at all levels and that our firm is representative of the world around us. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups.
Adjustments or accommodations - Should you need any adjustments or accommodations to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us.