Alex Vayner, Americas Data Science & AI lead at PA Consulting, shares insights on data scientists during a “Secrets of Data Analytics Leaders” podcast.
Click here to listen to the full Secrets of Data Analytics Leaders podcast
Before a company hires data science talent, they should understand the role and types of data scientists. Failing to differentiate between research, applied, and citizen data scientist can result in appointing the wrong people on crucial projects. Alex explains what data scientists are, where to find them, and how to keep them. Key Takeaways:
- There are three types of data scientists: Research data scientist, applied data scientist, and citizen data scientist.
- Research data scientists focus on discovering and applying methods to generate new algorithms.
- Applied data scientists take well-established models to solve business problems and configure them using open source libraries or tools like SAS.
- An applied data scientist wears many hats to manage machine learning engineering, ETL, and think about delivering business value.
- An industrialized product can be amplified under the supervision of citizen data scientists.
- Machine learning engineers are focused on solving the production side of applications like computation, run-time, and parallelizing.
- To retain data scientists, you will have to balance the following three areas: interesting work; culture; compensation.