Software Engineer - C ++
We’re an innovation and transformation consultancy that believes in the power of ingenuity to build a positive-human future in a technology-driven world. Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking with breakthrough-technologies to progress further, faster.
Software Engineering at PA
Our Software Engineering experts are a cross-disciplinary team of software, electronics, mechanical and manufacturing engineers that create lasting change by providing a one-stop product development service that takes products to market, from advising on business cases and creating initial concepts through to design and development; from manufacture and supply chain set-up to ongoing support for lasting success.
Oakdoor - The Cyber Security Division of PA
This role sits within Oakdoor which produces a family of disruptive network security products that protect our customers' networks and data from cyber-attack: https://Oakdoor.io
From improving our existing products (including data diodes and gateways) to working on related large cross-domain solutions, we have a vision for our next generation of products and are looking for experienced software engineers to help us get there.
As a Product Development Software Engineer at Oakdoor, you would be working on projects with real-world impact that deliver truly innovative solutions. Our focus is on the quality of our software above pushing for continuous deadlines. Communication and knowledge sharing across the team is important for us and we’re always discussing how we can improve our software development and agile practices.
Our future areas of growth require knowledge around:
- Linux application development
- Low-level embedded
- Linux platform bring-up
- Real-time network protocols
- Network security
- Cloud applications
What we love about working on Oakdoor
“The emphasis on modern development techniques, like TDD and pair/group-programming is one of the best things about being in the team; especially when working remotely. From the first day, you can be in a group and contribute to coding and discussions right away; as well as getting to know the rest of the team and learning the domain as you go."
“I’ve really enjoyed the variety of applications we’ve built for clients to support Oakdoor products. The wide variety of programming languages and tech stacks we’ve used have meant that I’ve always been learning something new.”
“Oakdoor is a well-managed team of people who are great to work with. The project excels in agile practices and principles and is a great place to learn.”
"The team is super rigorous when it comes to writing clean, testable software. I feel like I’m developing habits that will serve me well for my whole career "
To rise to the challenge that this Software Engineer role brings you will be qualified in a relevant subject area through either degree education or experience.
You must also be eligible for UK Security Clearance
Key experience should include some but not necessarily all of the following:
- Experience with Modern C++ and the STL and/or Rust
- Experience with Python
- Experience with leading design direction
- Bare metal and/or Linux and real time OS experience
- Cloud development experience
- Knowledge or experience of network security
- Familiarity with object orientation and/or function design patterns
- CI and automation experience
- Familiarity with software development practices and tools, such as agile development, version control, software testing, continuous integration and virtualisation
- A desire to push for continuous improvement and deliver quality software
- An enthusiasm for working collaboratively as part of a team including pair programming using test-driven development
- Excellent communication skills
We offer the opportunity to work on purposeful projects with incredible people, competitive salary, pension and bonus scheme, clear pathways to progression, and a thriving learning culture. Benefits include:
- Consistent training, development and career progression
- Flexible healthcare plans for you and your family
- Competitive leave allowances
- Access to a range of networks, centring LGBTQ+ people, women, people from minority ethnic backgrounds, and more
- A range of culturally-led clubs to join, from music to film, yoga to podcasts
It’s an environment that is energetic and fast-paced, that values collaboration, curiosity and treating people fairly. If that sounds like somewhere you want to work, get in touch.
Diversity Enables Ingenuity
Our diversity strengthens us and stimulates a rich, creative environment where our people feel empowered to be themselves. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, no matter their background. Together, we are PA — Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process — at any time — don’t hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org