Senior Economist – Power/ Energy Markets
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 4000 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists.
We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Are you an experienced Economist with strong understanding of UK and/or European power and energy markets? Come and join our successful Energy & Utilities practice at PA’s Economics & Investment Strategy capability to support our existing client base and our impressive growth strategy.
Economics & Investment Strategy helps public and private sector clients make the largest multi-billion-pound decisions through bringing together our team of modellers, economists, and business case experts to provide clear answers about potential impact, benefits and return on investment. Our evidence-led and quantitative approach helps bring clarity in an increasingly complex world.
Our team is growing at pace and is working with some of the largest clients across Government and industry, applying economic principles and the latest analytical methods to develop practical solutions for regulation and policy, business strategy, econometric forecasting, competition policy and more.
We think you will be a great fit if you have:
- A Masters or PhD from a leading university in Economics, Sustainability, Energy Transition or similar.
- Existing experience of managing complex economics projects in consulting, industry, or government.
- Experience of managing solutions that involve complex forecasting, modelling or simulation and interactions with market/regulatory reviews and policy evaluation.
- Detailed understanding of UK and/or European power and energy markets, including but not limited to wholesale power markets, capacity markets/mechanisms, contracts for difference (or similar) and/or ancillary service markets.
- Detailed understanding of UK and/or European power sector policies and regulation, including those governed by DESNZ or Ofgem.
- A passion and ability for the practical application of energy economics.
- Strong communication skills.
- A passion for team working.
- Excellent written English
- Experience of PLEXOS, Python and Excel preferable.
We know the skill-gap and ‘somewhat need to tick every box’ can get in the way of meeting brilliant candidates, so please don’t hesitate to apply – we’d love to hear from you.
Apply today by completing our online application
Life At PA encompasses our peoples' experience at PA. It's about how we enrich peoples’ working lives by giving them access to unique people and growth opportunities and purpose led meaningful work.
We believe diversity fuels ingenuity. Diversity of thought brings exciting perspectives; diversity of experience brings a wealth of knowledge, and diversity of skills brings the tools we need. When we bring people together with diverse backgrounds, identities, and minds, embracing that difference through an inclusive culture where our people thrive; we unleash the power of diversity – bringing ingenuity to life.
Find out more about Life at PA here.
We are dedicated to supporting the physical, emotional, social and financial well-being of our people. Check out some of our extensive benefits:
- Health and lifestyle perks accompanying private healthcare for you and your family
- 25 days annual leave (plus a bonus half day on Christmas Eve) with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Generous company pension scheme
- Opportunity to get involved with community and charity-based initiatives
- Annual performance-based bonus
- PA share ownership
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Flexible working - We are guided by our client work and needs; however, you have autonomy to manage your time and diary to suit your work/life balance.
We recruit, retain, reward and develop our people based solely on their abilities and contributions and without reference to their age, background, disability, genetic information, parental or family status, religion or belief, race, ethnicity, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity (or expression), political belief veteran status, or other by any other range of human difference brought about by identity and experience. We are on a journey towards ensuring our workforce is diverse at all levels and that our firm is representative of the world around us. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups.
Adjustments or accommodations - Should you need any adjustments or accommodations to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us.