Senior AWS Engineer
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 4000 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists.
We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
**Please note we are recruiting this opportunity for 2023 start date**
Become part of the Team
As a Senior AWS Engineer, you are a practicing member of the team, designing, writing and testing code. You'll be competent at owning and delivering solutions and being the design authority for how features are implemented.
You can expect to use your knowledge of architecture; our clients will look to you for advice and contribution in higher level architectural discussions.
You're familiar with the development process, and take ownership for certain aspects of the process by putting appropriate methods and tools in place.
You will have regular conversations with clients, and be a point of contact between the client and the project team.
Coaching and mentoring more junior members of the team, and deputising for the team principal, will be important in the role.
Your involvement in shaping bids (working with a bid team) will assist to create approaches or proposals, and perhaps you may also add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process.
You'll play an active role in account management
What We’re Looking for
PA is a AWS Advanced Partner and we create innovative solutions using the whole spectrum of AWS products and services, as well as other leading cloud platforms.
One project might need you to modernize and transform a legacy application with cloud technologies and the next might see you creating an innovative new digital product through a series of agile sprints.
You probably have a background as a software or DevOps engineer using languages and tools such as Jenkins, Java, Python, Kubernetes, Packer, Cloud Formation and Terraform, but it's your understanding of cloud technologies, architectures and techniques that are most important.
You may have worked on solutions on AWS or other public cloud suppliers, perhaps using serverless products such as Lambda and DynamoDB, or infrastructure such as ECS, EKS, EC2, S3, ALB, RDS and VPC.
Ideally you will be qualified to Solution Architect or SysOps associate level, although good hands-on experience is just as valued. Working in an agile team is highly sought after, where you're applying development practices which may include;
• Agile sprints to deliver incremental code.
• TDD and/or BDD approaches, considering outcome at design. Knowledge of test automation.
• Secure development and architectural practices, as well as knowledge of non-functional considerations.
• Working alongside others in the team to develop design, elaborate user stories and deliver estimates during story pointing.
• Reviewing code and merge requests with your teammates to provide assurance on a release.
• Developing code using CI/CD tools, such as, Jenkins or AWS CodeStar.
• Resolving root cause analysis and troubleshooting solutions.
• Appreciating scalability, high availability and disaster recovery requirements and how these relate to AWS Cloud services.
• Using fundamental tools and languages E.g. AWS CLI, Cloud Formation/Terraform, SQL, Linux, PowerShell, Shell Scripting, HTML and CSS.
• Different types of database, e.g. RDS (MySQL, Postgres MS SQL), DynamoDB, MongoDB, and newly emerging databases like Quantum Ledger and Neptune. Developing schema for supporting business logic and data.
• Developing solutions in the cloud, using AWS, GCP or Microsoft Azure.
• JIRA for tracking progress and traceability.
• Knowledge of Microsoft architectures an advantage
PA’s common technology components:
• Lambda • Containers using EKS, ECS and Beanstalk
• Big data tools such as EMR and Athena
• Dataflow, Apache Beam
• DialogFlow, Auto ML, AI Platform
• Microservices patterns
• Event-driven architectures and message queues
• Relational and non-relational databases
Languages and frameworks
• Common frameworks and APIs such as Spring Boot, Guice, Jersey, Node.js, Flask
• Knowledge of JVM, its limitations, weaknesses, and workarounds
• Building tools such as Maven and Gradle
• CI/CD tools, such as Jenkins and AWS CodeStar
• Using a range of technologies and libraries in the Java ecosystem.
As a Senior AWS Engineer (Consultant), you are a practicing member of the team, designing, writing and testing code. You'll be competent at owning and delivering solutions and being the design authority for how features are implemented.
• You can expect to use your knowledge of architecture; our clients will look to you for advice and contribution in higher level architectural discussions.
• You're familiar with the development process and take ownership for certain aspects of the process by putting appropriate methods and tools in place.
• You will have regular conversations with clients and be a point of contact between the client and the project team.
• Coaching and mentoring more junior members of the team, and deputising for the team principal, will be important in the role.
• Your involvement in shaping bids (working with a bid team) will assist to create approaches or proposals, and perhaps you may also add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process.
• You'll play an active role in account management.
Benefits at PA:
- Private medical insurance
- Travel allowance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Additional optional benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of ‘Bringing Ingenuity to Life’, supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.