Principal Mechanical Engineering Consultant
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Time to take your mechanical engineering skills to the next level
PA's Mechanical Engineering function within Product Design and Engineering:
You will join our expert technology team that designs and develops new products for organisations across a broad range of sectors including healthcare, communications, consumer products and defence.
We will make the most of your track record in concept and detail design roles in the development of products, systems and technology. You will take responsibility for part or all of the mechanical detailing on projects, developing medical and consumer products and equipment from concept, through prototype manufacture, to product introduction.
This role will provide you with the perfect opportunity to work with clients to deliver outstanding new products with a particular focus mechanical hardware implementation. You will be involved in creating innovative solutions to complex, challenging technical problems with a hands on practical problem solving approach. You will be supporting clients across a range of industry sectors to deliver products and process solutions.
We provide a one-stop product development service that takes products to market, from advising on business cases and creating initial concepts through to design and development; from manufacture and supply chain set-up to ongoing support for lasting success.
We add exceptional value where the development is difficult and involves:
- Commercialisation of new science or technology
- Translation of consumer or market insight into a product solution
- Integration of complex systems – frequently incorporating software, electronics, mechanical and scientific methods, increasingly in highly regulated environments
- Rapid development to capitalise on a market opportunity
- Organisations choose us because we work shoulder to shoulder with them to deliver leading-edge technologies and market insight into commercial products.
Candidates will possess the necessary technical breadth to adapt well to a consulting environment. You will have a proactive and creative approach to your work, showing aptitude and ambition, and the ability to apply your skills to the creation, analysis and development of products through the entire project life cycle.
- Minimum 2:1 degree in Mechanical Engineering or related subject or equivalent experience
- High level of proficiency in 3D CAD systems; preferably SolidWorks
- Experience and knowledge of FEA modelling
- Substantial experience in system or product design; from concept, through to detail design, to scale-up and volume manufacturing
- Intuitive understanding of risk management
- Understanding of plastic moulding part and tool design (particularly high volume)
- Tolerance analysis for mass production
- Knowledge of assembly processes and good DFMA skills
- Understanding of quality control and risk management
- Working knowledge and experience of the regulatory environment in the USA and EU
- Customer focus, with a professional and confident communication style
- The ability to innovate and think freely
- Proven track record of working individually and in teams of highly skilled engineers in a complex technical project-based environment
- Energy and enthusiasm to take on new challenges in a range of industry sectors
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Must have direct experience leading work streams and owning project deliverables
- Able to solve problems using both logic and creative/innovative approaches
- Numerate and highly computer literate, with excellent analytical skills
- Able to plan and prioritise, work to deadlines and under pressure
Inclusion & Diversity
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skill sets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org