Principal Google Engineer
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are 3,300 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Become part of the team
Do you find yourself frustrated working with legacy technology or processes; constantly finding the need to innovate new and fit-for-purpose solutions? These are the problems our clients ask us to solve. You'll also need to be a pragmatist, to understand the design constraints of projects and get the job done.
As a lead cloud engineer you may operate solo, or within a team, where you and your teammates are responsible for successful delivery of the project release using an agile methodology. We put a lot of trust in you and your team to meet deadlines, and to find the rhythm and ways of working that suits our clients. You get ownership and control of the processes for taking your code into live.
Our teams have a mix of technology skills and work collaboratively, following DevOps (we emphasise the Dev in DevOps) and Test Automation practices. We also need you to contribute to developing the team, perhaps by sharing your expertise and experiences, or by mentoring teammates.
As a Lead Engineer (Principal Consultant), you'll be leading a team or effort. We'll be looking at you to set direction and take responsibility for successfully achieving an outcome or deliverable. You may have a team of people to support, leading a development team, or else you could be working across multiple teams, providing some centralised expertise necessary for a larger program of work.
- You'll have expertise in architecture and will feel comfortable leading higher level architectural discussions.
- Using your experience of the development process, it’s likely you’ll own the overall process across a team, or multiple teams, building strong principles and putting robust methods and patterns in place.
- You will be comfortable having conversations with the client regularly, being one of the main points of engagement between the client and the project.
- Coaching and mentoring the team will be important in the role.
- Your involvement in shaping bids (working with a bid team) will assist to create approaches or proposals, and perhaps you may also add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process.
- You'll play an active role in account management.
What we're looking for
PA is a Google Cloud Premier Partner and we create innovative solutions using the whole spectrum of Google Cloud products and services, as well as other leading cloud platforms and technologies.
You probably have experience as a software or DevOps engineer using languages and tools such as Java, Python, Kubernetes and Terraform, but it's your understanding of and enthusiasm for cloud technologies, technologies and techniques that are most important.
Ideally you will be qualified to Google Certified Data Engineer, Certified Cloud Architect or Cloud Developer level, although good hands-on experience is just as valued.
You probably have experience in building and delivering solutions on Google Cloud, perhaps using serverless products such as App Engine and Cloud Functions, or containers deployed to GKE. Or maybe you have focused on building data pipelines using Dataflow and Apache Beam.
PA’s common technology components:
- App Engine
- Cloud Functions
- Kubernetes Engine, Compute Engine, VPCs
- Cloud Spanner, Cloud SQL and BigQuery
- Dataflow, Apache Beam
- DialogFlow, Auto ML, AI Platform
- Microservices patterns
- Event-driven architectures and message queues
- Relational and non-relational databases
- Private medical insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn, childcare benefits)
- Voluntary benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)