Lead Software Engineer
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are 3,300 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
Our hybrid way of working is designed to help you plan your work and your life. We want decisions about ‘where to work’ to be governed by ‘the work we need to do’ – whether that’s at client sites, offices/labs/studios, or remotely from home.
We have five principles which will help us balance both creating a high-performance culture that delivers for our clients and the firm, and being understanding and inclusive to individuals, and the teams in which we all work. Our principles are: we put your safety first; we trust PA people; we respect difference; we are responsive to clients and we are responsive to individuals and teams.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
As a Lead Software Engineer, you'll be leading Agile software development teams to deliver great technical outcomes for our clients. You'll help steer the direction of projects with your ability to make pragmatic design decisions that deliver value to our clients whilst still adhering to best practices. You know what good looks like from an architectural best practice sense and understand the importance of a robust path to production and why adopting a DevOps culture in your teams is important. Whilst not necessarily the top contributor on Stack Overflow, you're a solid coder in your chosen stack and are not afraid to pick up new programming languages or technologies. You're comfortable in client situations and at articulating technical problems to non-technical people. You may have a team of people to support, be leading a development team, or else you could be working across multiple teams, providing some centralised expertise necessary for a larger programme of work.
Our Lead Software Engineers:
- Lead by example, applying best practice Agile and DevOps principles.
- Have a pragmatic, product focussed mentality to ensure what we build consistently delivers value to our clients.
- Get their hands dirty across a variety of technologies and understand common patterns across the full stack of an application.
- Take pride in building and nurturing those around them.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- To have: 6+ years experience working with Java.
- Extensive experience of all aspects of the software development lifecycle.
- Experience developing cloud-native applications (AWS, Azure, or GCP).
- Experience defining testing strategies and applying test automation, ideally drawing on TDD or BDD.
- Experience implementing CI/CD practices such as git, branching, automated tests and automated deployment pipelines.
- Extensive experience working in an Agile team using Scrum or Kanban processes.
- You'll have a passion for delivering fantastic technology enabled products that deliver value to our clients
- You'll be a great communicator and a collaborative team player - passionate about building great relationships with your colleagues and clients alike.
- You'll be armed with initiative and will strive to solve problems yourself - Google'ing is half of the job!
- You'll be comfortable using one or more programming languages and rolling your sleeves up when required.
- You'll have a good understanding of services provided by the major public cloud vendors (AWS/Azure/GCP) and have built enterprise grade applications on one of these platforms before.
- Private medical insurance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Additional optional benefits (dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
Our approach to Inclusion and Diversity is a key enabler to our purpose - ‘Bringing Ingenuity to Life’. At PA, we are committed to creating a supportive culture where our people can thrive. To bring ingenuity to life for our clients we need people with different perspectives who think innovatively. We are on a journey to create an ever more inclusive place to work, where we all feel supported and can be ourselves.
We want our people to experience a working environment that promotes dignity, equality and respect for all. In terms of recruitment, we believe diversity makes us a stronger firm and we look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skillsets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
* Please note you must already have the unconditional right to live and work in the UK. We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.