We’re an innovation and transformation consultancy that believes in the power of ingenuity to build a positive-human future in a technology-driven world. Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking with breakthrough-technologies to progress further, faster.
PA offers a career in consulting, not just a job; a stake in our firm; and an environment where individuals and ideas matter. We also offer all of our engineering professionals career progression and tailored training to equip them with the tools they need to tackle complex and challenging projects through their careers.
We work with clients to help them realise commercial edge in new and established markets, leveraging design, science, and engineering to create consumer relevant solutions and their means of manufacture. As the world changes at an ever-increasing rate, our clients use our technical expertise to get ahead of the innovation curve.
Based out of our Global Technology and Innovation Centre in Melbourn near Cambridge, which serves as our design, development, prototyping and fabrication hub, PA supports organisations that span some of the largest names in the FMCG and healthcare space through to start-ups helping them realise new to world products and processes and exploit technology and advanced automation to drive sustainable design, productivity improvement, waste reduction and increased agility.
Using our expertise across the Product and Packaging Design, Applied Sciences, Engineering, Human Factor Sciences, Product Design, Automation, Manufacturing, and Innovation Strategy, we translate science and technology into commercially viable break-out products and processes.
Function Specific Activities
The job holder will inspect, analyse, and troubleshoot fibre-based materials and parts. He/she will run tests and interpret the results to make the effective recommendations for the dry moulded fibres process development. The Analytical Lab technician will write testing reports, develop testing procedures, lab safety regulations, and lab preventative maintenance plans.
- You will work with highly dynamic workstreams including internal and external stakeholders in the novel materials R&D area.
- Perform and monitor tests in the lab or field. E.g., Assess the functional properties of Fibre based materials and coatings such as barrier performance, shelf life, water solubility, water repellence and visual impact.
- Document all work performed and recommended on the results obtained. The job holder will need to have the ability to record observations in tests and report back to team, participate and contribute in internal technical discussions.
- Implement and develop new testing methods or improving existing ones. This might involve conducting research into new techniques or technologies that could make future testing more effective or efficient.
- Ensure the safety, quality, and efficiencies of the installation crew.
- Provide inputs to the processes, results, and cost savings opportunities.
- Support arranging and liaising tests with third parties e.g., activities like migration, shelf life, biodegradability, compostability testing, among others.
- In collaboration with other teams, ensure product certification and quality measures are designed and met for products.
- Maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies such as chemicals and equipment or performing other clerical tasks such as filing records, assist in warehousing and facility related tasks when necessary.
- Apprenticeship or bachelor’s degree in a discipline relating to Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Materials Engineering, or equivalent with minimum 3 years of experience working in a lab in industrial R&D / manufacturing.
- Expertise in Testing procedures for packaging applications along with lab process instrumentation and control logic.
- Experience in laboratory analysis for mechanical and chemical performances.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues and determine the cause of a plan’s success or failure.
- Must be a team player and possess excellent communication skills.
- Must be creative, detail-oriented, must be able to multi-task and work in a constantly changing pilot plant environment.
- A critical thinker with a positive attitude.
- Understand and has experience with DoE’s (Design of experiments) and SOP’s (Standard operation procedures) development.
- General know-how in fibre-based materials, process improvements and controls.
- Experience with Moulded Pulp or Composites manufacturing techniques and processes would be a plus.
- Working knowledge in food manufacturing and GMP’s. This could be an advantage
- It would be beneficial for the candidates to have a basic understanding of sustainable bio-based materials, or polymers materials in general. May have worked on cellulose, other biopolymers.
- Experience in the development, optimization, and validation of barrier methodologies.
- Experience running Tensile, Cobb, Compression, 3-point bending, Bond Strength, Grease proof, Air Permeance, Surface roughness testing among others.
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skillsets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org