Electronic Systems - Summer Internship
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 4000 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists.
We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
This role is open to undergraduates in their penultimate year of university. If you intend to return to university after the internship to complete an MSc, you will also be eligible for this position. So therefore candidates graduating in 2025.
Power Your Curiosity at PA
Joining us as an intern is the next step in starting your career. Whether you’re coming from a specialist background or from an unrelated subject, we want you to be bold, stay curious and dive into the opportunities we have to offer.
Our People Make a Difference
Our electronic engineers have expertise in creating electronic systems and are constantly learning about their craft and broadening their knowledge, working alongside colleagues who all have a passion for using what they know, every day. We work across the development process, from design, simulation and prototyping through, test and transfer to volume manufacture. Our consultants bring experience from across industry and consultancy to ensure the quality and value of our client deliverables.
Our key areas of expertise include:
- Turnkey product development
- RF and Wireless Technology
- High Performance FPGA Processing
- Power Conversion
We work with our clients throughout a product’s lifecycle
- Requirement capture
- System design and partitioning
- Rapid prototyping
- Product development
- Test and verification
- Functional testing, environmental testing, EMC testing, regulatory approvals, user trials
- Transfer to manufacture
During your weeks as an intern at PA, you’ll learn some of what it takes to be a top-notch consultant. You’ll be coached and guided by experts and have countless opportunities to broaden your experience on challenging projects and programmes.
A career at PA is what you make of it — so power your curiosity and prepare to make an impact.
What we are looking for:
- You’ll be on track to gain an accredited degree in Electronic Engineering (or related subject, e.g. Physics, Biomedical Engineering)
- Have practical experience of electronics developments through university, work or home projects
- Enjoy using your engineering skills to develop solutions to real-world problems
- Are credible and comfortable working with clients in high performance environments
- Can build strong relationships
- Are curious and want to broaden their understanding of the world
- Are collaborative and work at their best in dynamic teams
- Are hungry for new challenges
You should have a knowledge and an interest across one or more of these areas:
- Electronic circuit design principles.
- Digital electronics - DSP, FPGA
- Microcontrollers, Microprocessors and embedded hardware design.
- Embedded software development in C
- Power electronics and switch mode power supply design.
- Radio frequency electronics / communication systems
- Product design experience desirable
The Offer :
- A broad range of work that spans multiple sectors
- The opportunity to experience all phases of development, from conceptualisation and theoretical design to hands-on building/prototyping and testing in our workshops
- The opportunity to work closely with experienced and knowledgeable colleagues from across the design, applied science, software and engineering disciplines as you design, test, and build new products and systems
- Ability to manage your own time, with choice over which projects you work on
- Be involved in creating future technology strategies, working with others across the wider PA, to provide clients with wider business solutions
- Your work base will be our Global Innovation & Technology Centre, Melbourn, Cambridge
- Full Time
- This role will start in June 2024 – for 8-10 weeks. Exact dates will be confirmed at offer stage.
- Salary: Competitive
Life At PA encompasses our peoples' experience at PA. It's about how we enrich peoples’ working lives by giving them access to unique people and growth opportunities and purpose led meaningful work.
We believe diversity fuels ingenuity. Diversity of thought brings exciting perspectives; diversity of experience brings a wealth of knowledge, and diversity of skills brings the tools we need. When we bring people together with diverse backgrounds, identities, and minds, embracing that difference through an inclusive culture where our people thrive; we unleash the power of diversity – bringing ingenuity to life.
Find out more about Life at PA here.
We are dedicated to supporting the physical, emotional, social and financial well-being of our people. Check out some of our extensive benefits:
- Health and lifestyle perks accompanying private healthcare for you and your family
- 25 days annual leave (plus a bonus half day on Christmas Eve) with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Generous company pension scheme
- Opportunity to get involved with community and charity-based initiatives
- Annual performance-based bonus
- PA share ownership
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
We recruit, retain, reward and develop our people based solely on their abilities and contributions and without reference to their age, background, disability, genetic information, parental or family status, religion or belief, race, ethnicity, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity (or expression), political belief veteran status, or other by any other range of human difference brought about by identity and experience. We are on a journey towards ensuring our workforce is diverse at all levels and that our firm is representative of the world around us. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups.
Adjustments or accommodations - Should you need any adjustments or accommodations to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us - Earlycareersrecruitment@paconsulting.com.