1. EconomicReduced reimbursements and the shift to pay-for-performance are impacting revenue, while increased medical costs and high existing cost structures are diminishing performance – with no clear end in sight.
2. RegulatoryRegulation is still a challenge for executives. Not only is deciphering new and changing regulations tricky, but complying with these regulations continues to burden companies’ existing resources.
3. DigitalThe healthcare world is increasingly digitizing and patients have greater access to information. To stay relevant, companies need to adapt quickly.
4. Socio demographicThe population is aging and a greater number of citizens are faced with chronic conditions. The rate and volume of elderly and chronically ill people are putting additional pressure on providers and payers alike.
5. Consumer behaviourConsumers have been empowered by their experiences in other industries and have adopted a “We’re not going take it” attitude to their healthcare. This has circled back in the form of regulation and economics as some payments are now tied to experience.