As business services play an increasingly vital role in delivering strategic business goals across industries worldwide, PA’s recent event in London shed light on some of the key challenges and opportunities that are emerging.
This networking event highlighted the way in which organisations are increasingly using business services to create real competitive advantage. With technological innovation and the improving economic landscape driving change in the business services arena, business services now embrace everything from big data analytics and commercial operations to talent management and sales order processing.
The secret to brilliant business services
- All support functions must be aligned on achieving business strategy, not just functional agendas
- Organisations must manage consumption of business services and actively control the drivers of service demand
- Business services should deliver value by exploiting agile and simple channels of service delivery through an integrated blend of shared service centres of expertise, transaction factories, business partners, joint ventures and third-party providers.
Developing elite shared services
In recent years, many organisations have adopted shared services with the aim of improving business services performance. Yet PA's research, ‘The 50:50 Gamble: winning with elite shared services’found thatonly half of the companies that adopt shared services are satisfied with the results (the other half are disappointed) and only seven per cent say results exceed expectations.
The research highlights four key elements that organisations need to implement if they are to have high-performing shared services:
- extend service scope and reach: deliver shared services with a broader functional scope and greater geographical reach
- create a 'mixed economy' approach to sourcing: use a combination of in-house and outsourced providers to deliver business services
- integrate across functional silos: break down traditional functional boundaries and amalgamate service operations
- invest in a professional change approach: ensure effective implementation of shared services to achieve targeted benefits.
To find out how PA can help you develop brilliant business services, contact us now.